February 15, 2019 | Jeff Hallman
Inside Lending
 
Brought to you by Darel Ansley 

 
   
MARKET UPDATE
 
   
Freddie Mac's chief economist notes, "Mortgage rates are essentially similar to a year ago, but today's buyers have a larger selection of homes and more consumer buying  power than they did the last few years."
The Mortgage Bankers Association's head of surveys and forecasts chimed in with "moderating price gains and the strong job market, including evidence of faster wage growth, should help purchase growth going forward."
More good news for buyers came with CoreLogic's report that  home prices rose in December at the slowest pace since 2012. And those analysts predict price growth will drop to just 3.4% in 2019.
 

 
   
REVIEW OF LAST WEEK
 
   
DOW UP SEVEN WEEKS ... Stocks ended with the Dow ahead for the seventh week, the Nasdaq up decently, and the S&P 500 eking out a one point gain. Worries about slowing global growth kept traders in check.
Bad news from across the pond featured lower growth outlooks from Britain and the EU, and German manufacturing  declines for December. China's growth also slowed, while the U.S. trade deal still has some distance to go.
Nevertheless, our economy continues to show little evidence of a slowdown. With two thirds of the S&P 500 reporting earnings, about 72% have beaten expectations, way better than was feared by those looking for a recession.
The week ended with the Dow UP 0.2%, to 25106; the S&P 500 flat, at 2708; and the Nasdaq UP 0.5%, to 7298.
Bond prices went up on the down European data. The 30YR FNMA 4.0% bond ended UP .25, at $102.30. The  national  average 30-year fixed mortgage rate fell to a 10-month low in  F reddie Mac's Primary Mortgage Market Survey. Remember , mortgage rates  can be extremely volatile, so check with your mortgage professional for up-to-the-minute information.
DID YOU KNOW?... The Urban Institute says 5.6 million millennials live with their parents. Yet their research shows people who go out and buy a home before age  25end up with the largest return on their housing investment in later years.
 

 
   
THIS WEEK'S FORECAST
 
   
INFLATION COOL, RETAIL WARM... Economists expect the CPI Consumer Price Index to show inflation in January remained well within the Fed's  2% target range. December Retail Sales should grow at a temperate 0.2%.
NOTE: Weaker than expected economic data tends to send bond prices up and interest rates down, while positive data points to lower bond prices and higher loan rates.
 

 
   
FEDERAL RESERVE WATCH
 
   
Forecasting Federal Reserve policy changes in coming months... The Fed Funds Futures market does not expect the central bank to touch rates right through the start of summer. Note: In the lower chart, a 1% probability of change is a 99% probability the rate will stay the same.
Current Fed Funds Rate: 2.25%-2.50%
AFTER FOMC MEETING ON: CONSENSUS
Mar  20
2.25%-2.50%
May   1
2.25%-2.50%
Jun  19
2.25%-2.50%
Probability of change from current policy:
AFTER FOMC MEETING ON: CONSENSUS
Mar  20
   1%
May   1
    4%
Jun  19
    6%
 

 

 
   
BUSINESS TIP OF THE WEEK
 
  Fear of failure is paralyzing. Instead of letting fear stop you from trying something new, let it push you to run your ideas by others in your industry,  marketing types and  friends and to see if that fear is justified.  

 
  Darel Ansley Darel Ansley
Senior Real Estate Loan Officer
NMLS# 500247
901 North Mission Street
Wenatchee, WA 98801Office: (509) 664-5324
Mobile: (509) 860-3301
Fax: (509) 664-5315
darel.ansley@peoplesbank-wa.com
www.peoplesbank-wa.com/darel
  Peoples Bank  
 
Share

check_circle

You message has been sent!

Send us a Message


View our Privacy Policy